Borsch...finally

This week I have been rather busy. Remember almost a week ago when I said I was going to make Borsch. Well I finally got around to it last night. It is yummy. I thought I would included a recipe for anyone who hasn't tried it. It isn't my grandmas recipe, that is for my eyes only. However, it is pretty well the exact same thing. Read the * note below since that is the main difference..lol

 Meatless Borsch

From the "Ukrainian Daughter's Cookbook" By the Ukrainian women's association of Canada-Daughter of Ukraine Branch-Regina, Saskatchewan. Two of my great aunts helped to make this cookbook. It is still available at most bookstores in Canada and on the web.

3 beets, size of an orange cut into thin strips
1 carrot dices
8 cups of water
1 medium potato, diced
2 tbsp of lemon juice
1/2 cup green beans, chopped or peas
1 large onion, sliced
3 tbsp butter
11/2 cup cabbage, shredded
1 cup tomato juice or soup
11/2 tbsp flour
1/2c cold water
2 tbsp dill, chopped
1/2tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Cook beet and carrots in water for 20 minutes. Add potatoes, simmer 10-15 minutes. Add lemon juice(keeps red colour in beets). Add beans or peas. Simmer till tender.
 
Sauté onion in butter until soft. Add cabbage to onions with 1/4 cup water, simmer until cabbage is tender. Stir into the beets. Add tomato juice or soup. Blend flour with 1/2 cup cold water, stir into vegetables. Add dill for added flavour. Bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper.* Serves 15


*Now this is the "official" borsch from the book. However, we always had it with cream growing up and that is the way I make it now. So I would suggest that after you add the salt and pepper add in 1cup of cream stir and serve.(if you are going to can or freeze this omit the cream until you reheat it at a later date) Or you can do what I do most times. Pour the soup into a bowl and add 1Tbsp of sour cream, stir until well mixed and enjoy!

Comments

  1. I love the garden growth of before and after :o)..That's a nice size plot you have there..I can see some little chickens running around looking for worms :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gingerbreadhouse7- Thank you.It amazing how much everything grows in such a short time.
    I would love to get some chickens...but not near the garden since the cats would eat them :0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts