Use it or Lose it 13-02-2015


The last couple of weeks I haven’t too great at using up my stored/preserved food from the garden, but I used a little so better something than nothing right. Maybe that should be the title of my posts instead of use it or lose it..lol

Used
4 bags of carrots
1 jar of salsa
1 jar crushed tomatoes
8 potatoes
2 bags of ground beef
1 bag green beans
finished up home-made taco seasoning


12 apples turned into chopped up baby food. I’m really disappointed in this last batch of gala apples we bought. They were really mealy. Good for apple sauce, but not for eating

Lost it
½ a bag of bought spinach. I bought it pretty close to its best before date and it got slimey in a couple of days…booo
1 Pumpkin. I think when we got our warm up a few weeks ago it started the begginging of the end for it
3 butternut squash-These were from 2013!! And they just turned with out warning like the pumpkin

Here is a recipe for the week. Wild Turkey Surprise. When ever my parents would just throw something together for supper that didn't really have a name for they would just say we are having wild turkey surprise for supper. I thought the name and meaning fit for this meal


Wild Turkey Surprise

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 glove garlic, minced
1 tbsp taco seasoning (i used homemade)
2 cups salsa
1 medium yellow bell pepper chopped
1 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup frozen spinach, thawed, chopped and well drained (can substitute 2 cups fresh)
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. 
Add in ground turkey and garlic and brown. ( about 3 mins)
Add in salsa, bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Cook until veggies are tender, about 5 mins
Add in spinach, salt and pepper and cook until heated throughout. (about 3 mins)
Top with grated cheese and stir in until melted.

Serve over pasta ( i used gluten free pasta and I was a little to delicate for the sauce, but still yummy)


For just throwing a few things together I quite liked this dish. Personally I think you cannot go wrong with cheese.

 I signed up to allrecipes.ca a few months ago and thought I would start submitting recipes. This is the first one I am submitting. I have been wanting to submit for awhile and figured since I am typing it up now I might as well start today. I hope I don't get too many bad reviews!! LOL


Comments

  1. I'm starting to run low on some things which tells me I have to do better this coming summer on putting by. We never eat stuff from the panty/freezer during the summer months, but I am painfully short of carrots.....and my taters are all starting to sprout like mad.
    2 year old butternut? Wow--you did a great job on the harvest to have them last that long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading all of them and I try my best to respond back asap via e-mail or on here :)

Popular Posts